Monday, December 31, 2012

Decorative Organization

I'm celebrating New Year's by making pretty things for my craft room.  We're quiet folk.  My daughter and I have the t.v. playing the Dick Clark special right now, but we'll probably switch back to Snow 2 on Netflix now that the ball has dropped.

While watching the movie, I've been crafting as well.  The Fantabulous Cricut Challenge Blog has an organization challenge running and DL.ART is doing an anything goes challenge.  I suppose I could also do a second post for Use it Tuesday, too.  I might just do that.  I'll include how my project fits into each of their challenges at the end.

Let me start by telling you about my husband's 50th birthday party last March.  He loves John Deere so I bought these perfectly colored green and yellow buckets at Target.  They were in the bargain bin for $2.00 each.  I used my Eclips to cut out an svg of a tractor in black and then used green and yellow paper to make photo holders.  I glued them to small dowel rods and stuck the dowel rods into the buckets.  The pictures are not glued on.  They came out of my mom-in-law's photo albums and we wanted to make sure they wouldn't be damaged and would make it back to her albums.  

Here is a picture of one of them:

There were two short, fat green ones like this one and a tall, skinny yellow one.  Here they are now painted black with black and white ribbon and white vinyl.  I'm going to use them to store things that I commonly use but don't want just laying around.  I have a lot of my adhesive in one of them, but I think I'm going to have to separate it into two-maybe one for liquid adhesive and the other for dimensionals/pop-dots/tape runners.


I used black Fusion spray paint to paint over the green and yellow on the buckets.  I didn't even have to sand or prime or anything.  It covered greatI had to do two coats, but only because only of the ridges.  (The bucket above is supposed to say "hope" at the top, but the ribbon is covering part of the 'h'.  ha ha!)


I used E6000 to adhere the ribbon to the buckets.  I've never used it before, but I've heard that it's great for projects involving metal so I bought some.  I've been afraid to use it so it's been sitting in my craft room for over a year.  I saw a video on Above Rubies Studio this morning that convinced me to get it out and try it.  It's not so bad.  I was worried about the fumes (I have asthma.), but it wasn't that bad.  No wheezing or anything.  Yay!  :)

I made the bow using a bow template that I made after watching this YouTube video.  I just hot glued the bows onto the ribbon on the buckets.
 

I used the Wall Decor and More cartridge to cut my words.  I didn't have to do anything special to them.  I used my Gypsy just so that I could get them all lined up on the mat.  They were already set to 1" in height so I just left them.  That turned out to be the perfect height.  By the way, using my Gypsy also allowed me to pause the cut when I saw that the vinyl was tearing on some of the more intricate parts like what happened with my Eclips the other day.  I did my little trick with the Goo Gone and continued the cut with no more problems.  Note to self:  Do that first and then cut.  :)
 

Can you have too much adhesive?  I don't think so.  LOL!

  • Anything goes
Fantabulous Cricut Get Organized Cricut Crawl
  • Getting organized for 2013
  • Cricut cartridge used:  Wall Decor and More
Use it Tuesday  (I hope they don't mind me posting twice.)
  • Anything goes-project has to include hoarded supplies
    • Green and yellow buckets left over from last March
    • white vinyl in craft room for about a year
    • Wall Decor and More-hasn't been used in almost two years
    • ribbon and E6000 bought over a year ago and never used    

   

12 comments:

  1. Happy New year What a great idea and all that stuff is tucked away. beautiful lettering and nice design
    Thank you for joining my DL.ART ANYTHING GOES December Linky Party
    DIANA L.
    http://dianamlarson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your buckets are amazing I love them and need them lol !! Thanks so much for joining in the crawl at FCCB this week. Good luck !! xhugsx Nikki

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are great ideas for your craft room. Our challenge this week is actually all about 2013 and I can see how making your scraproom prettier to start off the new year is a great project for the new year. Thanks for joining us.
    Tammy DT

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea for storage and your photo bucket above is great as well. Happy new Year

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your new do for the bucket-looks so sheek and sophisticated. Thanks for joining us at Use It Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really nice projects, thanks for sharing them with us at UIT!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome project! I love the idea of taking something you already have and repurposing it for something to keep you organized! Smart!

    Thanks for joining us at FCCB this week!

    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a great way to spend New Years to me, LOL!!! Your photo holders & buckets are terrific, a good idea, too!! Thanks for joining us at FCCB this week!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. very cute! thanks for the detailed explanation of what you did. BTW what goo-gone tip? Now i have to search & find as I'm doing a vinyl project soon. Thanks for sharing on the FCCB!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for all the great comments! :) You've guys have really made my week.

    Goo Gone tip: I found that if you put a little bit of Goo Gone on a Q-tip and rub it on your blade before cutting, it doesn't tear the vinyl so much. I don't know why I'm having tearing problems all of a sudden-even with new blades, but the Goo Gone seems to help.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea love the font with swirls !! TFS and joining us at FCCB !!
    Brianna

    ReplyDelete
  12. Perfect use for your tubs instead of trashing them! Thanks for joining us at FCCB!

    Janea
    Recollection Alley

    ReplyDelete